A conversation about identity

(Afterlife depiction) (implied death) (Koit)

“Why, hello there, little fish,” A soft and soothing voice cut through the fog, followed by the goddess it belonged too.
“O-oh hello!” someone replied, “Where did you come from? Do- do I know you? S-sorry I’m- I’m having trouble remembering-”
“You don’t. Not yet, at least.”
“Oh- Oh! W-well it’s nice to meet you! I’m- I’m-“ she had a name, but when the koi fish tried to remember it, it slipped out of his reach- like everything else in this house.
“Names are hard,” the goddess interrupted its thought spiral before it could start. “and unnecessary, for the time being.”
“W-well it’s nice to meet you!” had she said that before?
The goddess smiled, “I don’t think you’re supposed to be here.”
“I-I’m not? Did I do something wrong?”
“No. Nothing at all.”
“Th- that’s a relief! The doctor would- would get mad me if-”
The goddess interrupted him again. Rude yes, but needed if they were going to get anywhere in this conversation, “Do you want to stay here?”
“Wh-”
“If you wanted to, I would understand. Forget all the pain, the fear, the anxiety. I know many of your kind who would do anything for this.”
Koit experienced a sudden and shocking moment of clarity. Brought on by who knows what, they answered, “It’s- this place wants you to think it’s good.. Leaving all those memories behind… But makes you fade. Makes you- not yourself, far from, everything except the worst parts of yourself. So- no. I don’t think I do.”
The goddess chuckled, “You are certainly a strange one.”
“I- i’m sorry what was- I saying? I-“ the moment had passed just as quickly it had arrived, followed by the fog surrounding and swallowing the goddess shortly after. And the stranger in the house turned back to its tape recorder.

“Oh- oh hello! Where did you come from?”